We just released our 2013 Family Album Mourvèdre, so what better time to think about pairing ideas! Our Mourvèdre comes from 130 year old vines in Oakley. This full bodied wine pairs great with meats – beef, pork, lamp are all great choices. BBQ or stews all provide excellent pairings to the wine.
John prepared a wonderful dinner for the two of us on our 31rst anniversary last month. From The Art of Simple Food by one of John’s favorite chefs, Alice Waters, he made Grilled Sirloin Steak with Herbs and a Ratatouille of Grilled Vegetables. What a perfect meal!
In our cooking class last week, we paired Chef Dayna’s Lamb Stew with Fresh Herbs over Creamy Polenta with the Mourvèdre. The slight gaminess of the lamb and fresh herbs were a perfect complement to the wine.
As you think about your summer BBQs, think about our Old Vine Mourvèdre, you won’t be disapointed!
SimpleICIOUS Simply Delicious Food (download here)
Lamb Stew with Fresh Herbs over Creamy Polenta Serves 6
INGREDIENTS 3 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 1 1⁄2 inch squares – Shoulder is preferred 2 Tablespoon EVOO 2 yellow onions, chopped 4 carrots, peeled and cut thick 4 cloves garlic, sliced 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped 2 Tablespoons fresh sage, rough chopped 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, rough chopped if the leaves are large 2 teaspoons fresh thyme 2 Bay leaves 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes 2-3 cups water or chicken stock Fresh basil for garnish, chiffonade Salt and Pepper
1 cup polenta 4 cups water or stock (or a combination of the two) 1⁄2 cup heavy cream 2 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot. Working in batches, brown the lamb on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onions, carrots, and S&P. Cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and all of the fresh herbs, cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, lamb (with the juices) and 1 cup of stock.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours, adding more water or stock as needed.
- Bring 4 cups water and 1 T salt to boil.
- Add the polenta gradually, while whisking. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Adding more liquid as needed for a creamy consistency.
- Add the butter and cream. Serve immediately.
Pairing Aver Family Vineyards 2013 Family Album Mourvèdre
www.SimpleICIOUS.com RSVP@SimpleICIOUS.com 408.892.0025